Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hope

This afternoon I was waiting for a phone call that did not come. The person who might have called was waiting on the results of blood work. Later I learned that the results had not yet arrived.

This evening my thoughts keep drifting to the what ifs that could affect a loved one. During the past two years there have been many of these days of waiting, and praying. Moments of fear when I let my guard down. Thankfully those moments never grow into minutes or hours. Due only to one important fact. I have hope.

When a friend asked me recently how things were going, I answered, "Great! We now have hope." No sooner had the words left my lips did I realize that I should have said "My hope is renewed." It was always there, but now it was revitalized, stronger than it had recently been. I am never without hope. Hope is what gets me through difficult days and dark nights.

My hope isn't in Doctors, although I appreciate their dedication. My hope isn't in the prayers offered by friends, although I am thankful for every one. My hope isn't in my family or even in myself. My hope is in Christ.

Webster's defines hope as a wish, a chance, a feeling that something desirable will happen. Even the last listing, a feeling of trust, doesn't describe my hope in Christ. Most of the time it is a feeling of trust, but what about when my feelings are wavering on fear. The hope is still there. Therefore, it can't be just a feeling.

God has already proven faithful a multitude of times in my life. But, first He gave me a never ending hope through His son, Jesus. He is the only hope I am assured of. It is all I need.

"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."
Isaiah 40:31

No comments: