Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 18, 2008

HANDMADE CHRISTMAS CARDS

For more than 30 years I have sent cards at Christmas and for at least 25 years I have designed and made the cards myself. When the country was complaining about the price of stamps (15 cents, why it's highway robbery!!!) (stamps were 10 cents when I started doing cards in 1975. I would think, what is 15 cents, then 20, then 30 cents, to say to a friend "I thought of you." Because it would be the only 'gift' you would receive from me I wanted them to be special.

Sometime in the middle of the hot summer I would dream of the card. Then I would begin working on them on Labor day. This was quite a task for me because I am not particularly artistic. I could only do so much. A few at a time until I completed them on Thanksgiving weekend. Many times the cards had something that only I knew the significance of, like the blue bird for Spencer photo shopped into the tree on the card.












This year I have not only not begun the cards, I went out a few weeks ago and purchased cards! Horrors, I still can't believe it. The earth did not tumble out of the universe, but I am still waiting anxiously lest the card police find me.

As the cards come in it is another marker for a different Christmas. As I read the boastful letters and the sweet letters and even one that is so filled with simple day to day experiences in the life of a family that it is just perfect; I am drawn to the bag of unsigned, unaddressed cards and really want to stay up all night getting them ready to mail. But I won't because I need my energy for tomorrow and most may not notice we didn't send a card this year. And if closer friends notice maybe they will stop and think of us and wonder. What they will wonder is a different story.

The burden pressing on my heart and mind is the reason my family chose to endure alone these past couple of months. And I don't like the answer. It is a sad commentary of many Christians today. Perhaps tomorrow I will explain.
My daughter shared this verse on her blog today:


"The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all"
Psalm 34: 17-19
Amen!

No comments: