Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 11, 2010

SNOW? It's a big deal around here!

It has been 40 years since we saw snow... Well, not really. There was the blizzard of '73 and the 'surprise' snow that shut the city down 6 or 7 years ago. I can't visualize that exact date due to PTSD.
My boss's error in judgement that day cost me big time. Because she was from a state which frequently experienced snow, she could not comprehend what the big deal was for us. She scoffed at the excitement and urgency to get out of town. Therefore, I waited too long to leave and could not move my frozen Lincoln out of the parking lot. I stood in line with all the other stranded motorists and paid a ridiculous amount to spend the night two blocks away at the Marriott (where the power went out and I wept for my nice warm fireplace at home). It was the first and only time I have been given a toothbrush along with my room key. No one checking in was prepared for an overnight stay.

But I digress.... anything not frequently seen becomes either very special or very terrifying, depending on your personal circumstances. While I am concerned for those who will suffer from the cold I cannot ignore the beauty of snow flakes floating and swirling to the ground. I cherish the first moments outside after the snow has ended and before drivers have ventured onto the slippery roads. The hushed silence of a fresh snow is a rare and amazing gift. Moments of not a single sound as the miracle stops us in our tracks. Perhaps this is God's reason, His joy, for sending the snow. To force His frantically busy children to pause a moment to witness His wondrous works. Like the rare snowman below.

Truth be told, I had nothing to do with making this snowman. My mother told us children that it was too cold to go out, so we did not get to play in the snow. She went outside, built the snowman and then allowed us to come out to have our picture taken with it.

There were many rumors, drawn from fact, that the snow was full of dirt, pollution and nuclear fallout. I thought for years that my mother did not want us to get sick and was too unfamiliar with snow to know that it would not hurt us. But now I wonder if she actually wanted some time to herself to play in the snow.
If you have snow today how dirty is it? Do this to see:

Gather these items:
a plastic container that is empty, clean, and has a lid
a coffee filter or piece of paper towel
a bowl
a magnifying glass

Fill the container with fresh snow
Put the lid on the container and let the snow melt.
After it has melted hold the coffee filter or paper towel over the bowl.
Pour the melted snow slowly over the filter or paper into the bowl.
What do you see piling up on the paper or filter?
If you can't tell, use the magnifying glass.
(I am not sure I want to ruin my fantasy)
~
"From the fullness of His grace,
we have all received one blessing after another."
~John 1:16 (NIV

No comments: