Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 3, 2010

ON THE 9TH DAY OF CHRISTMAS - BLESSINGS

2009 was a wonderful year.
There was food on my table and a roof over my head.
Love was given and received.

I was blessed.


"Surely, LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield."
Psalm 5:12 (TNIV)
Saying I am blessed has always made me a little uncomfortable. Does that mean that someone else is not blessed if they do not possess whatever it is that I am using as an example of my being blessed?

I think when this began to bother me was when I noticed that some who are not living a God fearing/respecting life (as evidenced by their choices) still will answer that they are blessed if a compliment comes their way. It sounded as if any person lacking what the 'blessed' person has is just not blessed!

Does this mean that the homeless, the hungry, the abused, the sick are just not blessed?

According to the scripture above, I am blessed because of a righteous life. Are all those who are living in poverty, without employment, physically challenged, etc. unrighteous?

No, what it means is that the righteous will receive the Lord's favor which is why even those in dire circumstances can feel blessed, filled with peace and joy.

This past year a dear friend of many in our church and community died unexpectedly following a medical procedure. She was in her early forties. She had been a shining example of a joyful life. She would tell you that she was blessed and that God was so good to her. Yet, she had lived her entire life dependent on others for care and transportation. Born with spina bifida she would never walk until she walked into Heaven's gates and never run until she ran to see Jesus. She received the Lord's favor in many ways. She was blessed to have care, food and shelter from the righteous who were used by God in her life.

This winter is colder than normal in the south. A hot meal, a pair of gloves or a warm hat could minister and bless the lives of those less fortunate than yourself. I am guessing that if you are reading this you at least have access to electricity and a computer. Are you blessed by God (or simply fortunate in which case you need to consider this)?

How can God use you to bless someone today?

No comments: