Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 18, 2008

IT'S ALL GOOD!

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete,not lacking anything."
James 1:2-4


It is, oh, so hard to consider it joy when you are in the midst of pain or disappointment. When you are walking in the fog of confusion the sights and sounds surrounding you can play tricks on your heart.

Last night I prayed into the night for my dear daughter. I know she is discouraged and burdened by the why questions. Thankfully, I also know that, though burdened she may be, her foundation will not be shaken. One of the precious stories of her childhood is the following:


One day as I drove home after picking her up from elementary
school she made a remark that jarred me from my
momentary complacency. She remarked, in her sweet, trusting
voice, "I know nothing bad will ever happen to me."
When I replied, "How do you know this?” she said with conviction,
"Because God loves me and He will never let anything bad happen to me."

While I was thrilled that she already put her trust in her heavenly father, my reaction was not what it might have been had I been privy to advance notes on the conversation to come. Instead of simply agreeing that God would always take care of her, no matter what, I went into the parent/teacher/mentor mode and thought I should explain to her then and there that bad things can still happen to you, even though God loves you dearly; however He will always be there with you.

Truthfully there wasn't much I needed to tell her since she was growing up in a home where family devotions were shared most every day and the church was our second home. She knew she was loved by God and her family, and she felt safe and secure. I came out of that short conversation feeling kind of low. Had I mislead her to believe that Christians never have problems and that we are a bubble family, like bubble boy? I actually felt much worse than I did on the day I had to tell her that she had not yet made the choice to follow Christ. (she had remarked, “We are a Christian family aren't we?) That's me, no teaching degree, but I am compelled to teach 24/7. Even when I know I should give it a break.

I felt that I had taken away her childish innocence in the world as a perfect place. Sure, it would have happened at some point, but I didn't want to have a hand in it. After that day, for a while, I watched her closely to see if she felt less happy or less secure.

What I saw was her begin her journey towards spiritual maturity. And I have had to confess to her that she was right. God won't let anything bad happen to her. That's because God loves her He only wants good for her. All that happens in her life is ultimately for the good. Whether because He wills it or because He allows it. He even gave us the gift of prayer to use to communicate with Him our needs and to listen to His guidance. Although, in the purest form of devotion to God there is never a doubt that what is happening in your life is good.

Very simply, it is much the same as when you trustingly took the hand of your parent as you walked into the doctors office to face the needle which held a medicine of protection. I was always amazed that neither of my children minded at all getting their shots. They were so brave! The shot may sting for a moment, but you knew, without a doubt, that your mommy or daddy would not let someone hurt you unless it was for your own good! Maybe, that was what my daughter was saying long ago when she expressed, "God loves me and will never let anything bad happen to me."

“We know that in all things God works for the good
of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.”
Romans 8:28







No comments: