Total Pageviews

Friday, October 3, 2008

BEAUTY FOR ASHES part 1

"To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.”

Isaiah 61:3 (KJV
)


A friend inquired as to how I reconcile my pro life view with the many children who are born unwanted and then experience unspeakable horror in their short lives. And if thousands upon thousands (millions upon millions) of children were being born instead of being aborted what would happen with over crowding, food supplies, etc?

This doesn't puzzle me as much as why God allowed some to be born in America when many others are born into poverty, war, disease and famine in other countries. The only thing that makes sense is that we are to help those less fortunate than our selves; and, helpless unborn babies are the least fortunate of all. The issue of child abuse or other terrible situations in life is totally separate from the issue of terminating an unborn life. One doesn't justify the other.

I had a mostly rotten childhood. Would it have been better if I had been aborted because I would face abuse at the hands of my parents? It is my history that causes me to care about the suffering of children. It is my history that allowed me to hear the call to be the voice of almost 50 abused and neglected children. It is my history that looks for ways to encourage families who are struggling. And I wouldn't trade the joy I had in my own babies for anything, even a wonderful loving childhood.

Has God brought beauty from the ashes for me? Most definitely, yes. Has my life made a difference? I hope so.
But what is important is that I am thankful for my life and believe every soul should have the same opportunity even if the evil in this world harms or takes away a life.

God is in control but He is not a dictator. Parents who abuse have the opportunity to parent with love. Their wrong choices which cause suffering for others should not cause us to make the wrong choice of ending life instead of protecting it. We can choose to turn our backs or to help.

Maybe the woman's life is easier without the burden of caring for the aborted child. But the child has no life at all. How can one person’s life be more valuable than another? How can the woman's right to choose carry more weight than the baby's right to live?

What if the child who would grow up to discover the cure for cancer has been aborted? Or, will be aborted in the future if someone doesn't change his or her mother's mind?


He gives beauty for ashes

Strength for fear

Gladness for Mourning

Peace for despair


~Crystal Lewis

"..I knew you before I formed you in your mothers womb.." Jerimiah 1:5

No comments: