Total Pageviews

Monday, October 6, 2008

BEAUTY FOR ASHES part 2

"You are valuable because you exist.
Not because of what you do or what you have done...
but simply because you are!"
~Max Lucado
Tonight I received an e-mail announcement of the birth of a former co-workers first child.

This precious baby girl is healthy and absolutely beautiful. If she were not so perfect would her life be of less value?

Viewing the photo of this baby was a bittersweet moment. While I am extremely happy for the new mother (who will be an excellent parent to her daughter) I feel a stab of pain as I remember another mother whose baby was due this week also. A mother who didn't get to hold her baby, a mother who still waits for God's answer to her prayers.

As October approached, my calendar began to remind me of the date I had written in ink for the approximate day of the birth of my grandchild. Because this was the third loss for my sweet daughter and her dear husband our thoughts and conversations often touch on adoption. I, also, have a daughter in law who was adopted as an infant. The wait for a newborn can be a long one. I think of all the babies that could have been adopted but were aborted.

While working in a non profit created specifically to advocate for neglected and abused children, I was told by my employer that my personal views on abortion were irrelevant. I do not think that they were. I might keep silent regarding my personal political opinions but the protection of children must begin even before they are born. As a christian my belief is a part of me that cannot be left at the door as I enter any arena.

Women can be prosecuted for using drugs that end the life of the unborn and two charges are sometimes brought against the one who murders a pregnant woman. Why, then must we look the other way when women choose to end the lives of their children. Can the agency which protects the rights of children work hand in hand with the agency which assists parents in terminating the life of a child?

I have been privileged to see so much beauty from the ashes of failure. God can take anything and use it for good. I have many friends who have adopted. Serving as a foster parent I had the joy of caring for adoptable children. My heart was broken when those children left my life, but the beauty they left behind is immeasurable. Three of the many boys I have advocated for are currently serving our country in the military. I am so proud of them and more importantly, they are proud of themselves.

Of the many terrible home situations I have witnessed, I have never, even for a second, thought the children should not have been born. The challenge was and is to encourage them to live beyond their obvious limitations whether it be poverty, abuse , physical or mental challenges, or, the most tragic of all, lack of family love and support.


"Children are a gift from God."

Psalm 127:3

Baby Spencer, one of God's beauties!



No comments: