Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 27, 2009

On the Second Day of Christmas

After a wonderfully worshipful candle light communion service, I was leaving church when the day took a sudden wrong turn. Only one day after my daughter wrote this, my ears were assaulted with the words “Is your daughter pregnant again?” (My daughter was not with me so she could not appear to be pregnant.)
Unbelievable,and yet not, coming from the resident curiosity seeker. When I answered no and failed to make a hasty retreat, the questions disguised as concern came next. My pre-planned answer of Only God knows the answer to that would have encouraged her to ask again next week.


The desire to give a rude reply was strong for a flashing second. Just a few moments earlier I had felt so close to God and had felt so grateful to Jesus for the sacrifice He had made for me. I was not going to let a rude person steal this from me. So, I patiently told this woman the medical reason my daughter was not with child. It was none of her business and I knew she just wanted to be 'in the know'. Yet, I still tried to explain. Just as my daughter had said, it made no difference. I still got the 'well, you never know, it can happen." response.
I do know. It has happened! Weren't you listening?
What is wrong with people?? Only a very close friend could have the privilege of asking that question and a close friend would know not to ask.


I almost let this ruin a perfectly good '2nd Day of Christmas'. Almost.

“Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord;
keep watch over the door of my lips.”
Psalm 141:3

1 comment:

ASH said...

So my first question is... when I was at your church last week did I look pregnant? I'm pretty sure the answer is no.